Tuesday, July 9, 2013

1927 - Love is in the air...Or is it?

Here comes the bride! 


Nel and Jude Greene are becoming newly weds! Time has flew by and Sula and Nel's friendship has fallen off now. Nel is only my age though, and shes getting married already! But back in the day, getting married young was as average as getting married around your mid, to late twenties is today.
It was surprising to me that Jude's dad had put a whole pint of liquor in the punch that the reception had. Everybody that drank some ended up tipsy. It seems like the reception was pretty cool. But I don't understand why Nel is so weak when it comes to men. She is very dependent upon men, and luckily for her; Jude Greene wants a woman to depend on him. So Nel is the perfect one. Still though, they aren't getting married out of love. I think its all for Jude Green's sake...Nel doesn't care because she gives in so easily to any man. Maybe this marriage between the two will become love, I would hope so since they should be together forever. 

Here comes the racism in 1927...

 

There's this man that goes by the name of Jude Greene. He was the tenor of Mount Zion's Quartet. He never really planned on getting married but he met Nel, marriage happened quicker than he could decide if he was ready. I feel like he may have not been ready for that, but Nel was, so I guess he just may have been one of the lucky ones to find their soul mate and their love would last forever. 

I said all that to say this, this man makes a living from being a waiter at Hotel Medallion. He has this great opportunity to feel more of a man, by becoming a construction worker. The men who do the hiring wasn't even looking his way as he applied for the job. Of course, the hiring guys were white. Jude Greene was a black man, and fairly young. 

This man just wants to earn more, and also do the work of a real man. The racist acts of foolish people wont allow his goal to be achieved...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment